Davis Racing Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Davis Racing Dragons

We are a dragon boat team at UC Davis.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DRD Cookbook!

Go down 
+5
HYe
salcha
JonathanNgai
GstarRawr
Anna
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Anna

Anna

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 12:41 am

It has come to my attention that some of us are absolutely brilliant cooks. I think it would be cool to have a cookbook to let us share our successful recipes with each other! This would also be especially helpful for those of you just got out of the dorms and don't know how to cook yet.

Some recipes I'd really like in there:
- Sally Chou's chili (from girls night)
- Mitchell Kyotani's teriyaki chicken or whatever that was from one of the potlucks at my old apartment
- Dejun's baked mac and cheese
- Solongo/Rose's potato salad (from girls night)
- Horus's sushi (ANY of them)
- Jonathan Ngai's beef stew
- Brian Do's EVERYTHING
- the recipe for the KBBQ that we sell for Picnic Day (also from Brian Do)

Pictures would be great too. Step by step pictures are even better. We can even print them and sell them to make some $$ if you really want.

What do you guys think? Any other recipe requests?
Back to top Go down
GstarRawr

GstarRawr

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Why haven't I tried most of these?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
JonathanNgai

JonathanNgai

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:29 am

bump. i like this idea. i just wonder why i havent seen it before. next time i make stew, i'll take pics
Back to top Go down
salcha

salcha

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 12:44 am

Back to top Go down
http://teamdrd.org
HYe

HYe

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 2:52 am

is there a deadline for this?
Back to top Go down
Anna

Anna

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 4:28 am

@Horus Depends. I'll talk to board about whether they want to make physical books and sell them or something. If not, then I'll just make an online open access cookbook or something.

@Sally Can you remake some of the really good ones and give step-by-step instructions? Your album makes me wish you fed me more often Smile
Back to top Go down
mkyo

mkyo

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 2:33 pm

I don't know why this wasn't thought up earlier. Like when Brian Do was around.

I have recipes, but I usually eyeball amounts. Also, batch sizes tend to feed 5+ people, and I don't want to use maths and think to try to scale down the amounts.

I will post some recipes eventually, along with pics if I think they are really necessary.
Back to top Go down
HYe

HYe

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:16 am

If someone is willing to take pictures for my step-by-step instructions, they're welcome to eat the final product
Back to top Go down
GstarRawr

GstarRawr

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 2:54 am

HYe wrote:
If someone is willing to take pictures for my step-by-step instructions, they're welcome to eat the final product

Well if you put it that way... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mkyo

mkyo

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 1:28 am

So who is in charge of compiling these recipes? And where should they be sent?
Back to top Go down
Anna

Anna

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:19 am

I guess I'll do it. Post it here? Just to get some traffic going on here. I can compile it later when there are more recipes and photos!
Back to top Go down
mkyo

mkyo

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

I just happened upon this.

[http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/sghxf/what_is_your_simplest_awesome_recipe/]

Read some of the recipes, and they sound interesting. Wondering if anyone wanted to try any of them and see how it goes.

Back to top Go down
mkyo

mkyo

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyMon May 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Simple Teriyaki Sauce:

Ingredients:
2 cups soy sauce
2 cups sugar

(can adjust the amount of sauce/sugar, as long as the ratio is 1:1)

Combine sugar and soy sauce in a medium pot and bring to a boil, stirring to help dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to low and keep and eye on the mixture, stirring constantly (otherwise the pot will boil over and you will end up with one giant mess). Simmer for about 20 minutes, to thicken. To store, use a funnel and pour the sauce in a bottle or jar. My family makes big batches at a time and stores them in Martinelli's apple cider bottles, since they come with an easily resealable cap. Shelf life so far has been 6+ months, so long as nothing else is mixed in with the sauce.

This sauce can be used as a topping for meat (such as grilled salmon), as well as a marinade. If you are going to marinade meat with this, you can jazz it up by adding ground/chopped garlic, ginger, fermented chili paste, lemon grass, Chinese BBQ sauce, white wine, among other things. I usually use 3-4 cloves of garlic, a 1.5 inch piece of ginger and 3-4 tbs of fermented chili paste, along with white pepper and some salt for three chicken breasts (or an equivalent amount of meat).

When marinating, I find it easiest to put your meat into a gallon-size zip top bag. Marinate at least 3 hours in the fridge (overnight is best), flipping every once in a while.

Back to top Go down
mkyo

mkyo

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyMon May 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Selecting Beef:

If you've ever been in the meat department of a grocery store, you know just how overwhelming it is trying to figure what meat to buy (besides whatever is on sale). This specifically will be about how to select beef (since I don't cook lamb, chicken is pretty easy to understand, and pork and fish are different stories).

Knowing what dish you are going to cook will help in determining which cut (or part of the cow) you should be purchasing. This little image will help in figuring out what cut you should buy for the dish you are going to prepare (based on the cooking method).

What this diagram does not explain is marbled meat. Marbled meat, according to Wikipedia, is meat "which contains various amounts of intramuscular fat, giving it an appearance simliar to a marble patter." A highly-marbled piece of beef looks like this. When selecting beef, you want one with a decent amount of marbling. This leads to a tastier, more tender piece of beef.
Back to top Go down
Tomio Hayase-Izu

Tomio Hayase-Izu

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyTue May 08, 2012 5:54 am

I always put Mirin (cooking sake) in my teriyaki sauce when available. Chopped garlic and ginger is also a really good addition along with green onions on the finished product.

I haven't tried it, but a 1:1 ratio of sugar to shoyu seems like a lot. Usually I don't deal with amounts and just sort of wing it in terms of proportions.
Back to top Go down
HYe

HYe

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:23 pm

ONIGIRI

What you'll need

Ingredients
- 2C short-grain rice
- 2T rice vinegar
- 1/2~1T of sugar
- salt
- ~2 1/5C water
- 3 Nori sheets
- Your choice of filling (optional)
- Furikake seasoning (optional)
*the "cups" used are the cups used to measure out uncooked rice

Tools
- Rice Cooker + rice paddle
- Onigiri Mold
- Medium or Large Mixing Bowl
- Small bowl/ cup

Instructions

Rice Prep
1 Wash rice several times until water is [almost] no
longer cloudy
2 Drain water
3 Add 2 1/5C of water to washed rice
4 Cook rice in rice cooker
-----
Rice Seasoning Prep
1 Combine 2T rice vinegar with the 1/2~1T of sugar and a pinch of salt in a small bowl/ cup
2 Mix until sugar & salt has dissolved (or as close as you can get to completely dissolved
-----
Nori Prep
*Depending on the size of the mold you're using, cut the nori according to the max width of your mold. It's unlikely for you to use an entire uncut sheet unless you're using sheets made
exclusively for onigiri.
-----
Onigiri Prep
1 Once the rice has finished cooking, place rice in a medium/ large mixing bowl
2 Dump the rice seasoning over the rice
3 Mix the rice & seasoning in the bowl by linearly slicing through the rice and slowly rotating he mixing bowl as you slice. You can add the furikake at this point if you chose to use furikake.
4 Fill rice pot with water, throw some salt in the pot, and mix around for a bit. This is what you'll use to moisten your hands while handling the seasoned rice as a means to prevent the rice from sticking to your hands/ fingers.
5 Claw some rice with just your fingers and drop into onirigi mold. If you choose to not use filling, skip to step 8.
6 Form a trough for your filling (if you chose add filling) by sticking your fingers down the enter of the rice in the mold and pressing the rice to the edges. If you need more rice in your mold, add more a little bit at a time to the spots you feel need more rice
7 Fill your trough with your filling. [!] Don't get too greedy by shoving a lot of filling! Your onigiri may end up super bulky once you've completed it. Unless you like it super bulky because that's cool too.
8 Add a little bit more rice to cover your filling and flatten with your fingers
9 Attach the onigiri mold's cover and lightly press on the bottom of mold to pack down the ingredients
10 Remove cover and flip mold over so that the exposed rice is facing the seaweed. Make sure the shiny side of the nori is not facing your rice. It may take a while for your onigiri to fall out of the mold so be patient
11 Once the onigiri has fallen, wrap the rice with the nori. If you have trouble having the nori stick to itself, just dab the nori with a little bit of water and try again.
12 Eat

*Makes about 6 if you've portioned the rice correctly
Back to top Go down
GstarRawr

GstarRawr

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyTue May 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Easy KBBQ marinade

2 cups soysauce
1 cup water (optional but recommended or it gets really salty)
1 cup sugar (can vary)
1/4 cup pepper
dashes of sesame oil
minced garlic and chopped onion to enhance flavor

Instructions:
1. Mix that shit.
2. Throw in meat (chicken/ribs work well)
3.????
4. Profit

Back to top Go down
salcha

salcha

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyWed May 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Easy Chili:

DRD Cookbook! 317271_10150568160679768_500624767_11759311_739075476_n

- 1 lb ground beef (2 if you want it REALLY meaty!)
- 1 medium sized yellow onion
- 8 oz jar of salsa
- a couple spoonfuls of chili seasoning/taco seasoning (I use either)
- 2 cups of chunky tomato sauce
- some pepper and garlic salt
- 1 (15 oz) can of kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans
(for beans- I vary between dark kidney, light kidney, and pintos. 2 cans of beans are sufficient.)
- A dash of tabasco (I use smokey)
- Can of corn (optional)

Directions
- Slice up your onion into bite sized pieces.
- Saute in oil for a couple minutes until fragrant inside your pot (I recommend non-stick)
- Add ground beef and cook together until both are well done and onion is soft
- Sir in the tomato sauce and salsa
- Add in the beans, corn, and chili/taco seasoning
- Season to your liking with garlic salt, pepper, and tobasco.
- Cook for up to an hour on low heat
- Serve hot and enjoyyyyyy!
Back to top Go down
http://teamdrd.org
GstarRawr

GstarRawr

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Back to top Go down
dianasaur

dianasaur

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 6:33 pm

I followed this recipe pretty much but made a few adjustments: http://southern.food.com/recipe/scalloped-potatoes-85629#.

Some notes:

- I had no idea at first how to measure 4 cups sliced potatoes so I kinda eyeballed it with a measuring cup. Yes there were gaps and whatnot, so I measured a little more than the 2-cup level. It came out to be around 3 1/2 good-sized Russet potatoes. (I heard Yukon has better flavor and texture).

- I rinsed my potato slices but you don't have to. I also covered them in a bowl with a wet paper towel on top to prevent them from drying/oxidating as I cooked the sauce.

- I had no cayenne pepper or paprika but I added quite a few dashes of pepper to my sauce before adding the cheddar cheese. And when cooking your sauce it will thicken but I ignored my sauce for a little too long so my flour kinda congregated to the middle of the sauce pan and I had to stir it around to even it out. Make sure you stir as it boils to save yourself time. (It does look kinda cool though, like a sauce monster)

- I added a little more than 1 cup of cheddar cheese to the sauce just for kicks.

- I sprinkled some parsley on top for color (and because I had no paprika).

- I totally overcooked it by 5 minutes so that's why it looked more brown than golden (I was getting ready upstairs and didn't hear the beep).

***I used my roommate's mandolin which gave me wonderfully uniform potato slices but also got a nasty nick as I neared the end of the potato, so just beware when using any sharp blade while cutting (especially when you're running out of space to cut)***
Back to top Go down
HYe

HYe

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:59 am

Red Bean Soup

1C Red Beans
1/4~1/2C Sago/ small tapioca
8C Water
Sugar (quantity at your discretion)

Soak red beans in a bowl of water until soft
Drain water
Fill pot with 8C of water and red beans
Bring to boil, then let simmer for 1.5~2Hrs
Stir every now and then to prevent the beans from burning at the bottom of the pot
Add sago during last 30 minutes of simmering
Add sugar to adjust how sweet you want it

Serves 4~6
Back to top Go down
JTeeOCee

JTeeOCee

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Cottage cheese pancakes (like bite-sized cheesy bread...but healthy? It's bread stuffed with flavored lean protein.):

INGREDIENTS
per...iunnno some 30 1-2in. diameter pancakes?
3 lbs cottage cheese
5 eggs
1 lb flour
seasonings (sweet? savory? you pick.)

PROCEDURE
Batter:
Beat eggs.
Stir in cottage cheese.
Stir in flour. Mix should be hella thick...like thicker-than-pancake-batter-thick.
Stir in seasoning to taste.
(I basically did like ~5 dashes of garlic powder ~3 dashes oregano...keep in mind: garlic powder is much stronger than oregano)

Cook:
Med-high, non-stick.
Spoon batter to size of pancakes.
Flip with soft spatula when edges appear dry. (yellower white than white?, looks like film of eggs over medium)
Should be come-out brown, just under burning.

Warning: do not add liquid seasonings unstirred to exterior of batter. The liquid will cook way faster than the batter, resulting in burns.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DRD Cookbook! Empty
PostSubject: Re: DRD Cookbook!   DRD Cookbook! Empty

Back to top Go down

DRD Cookbook!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Davis Racing Dragons :: DRD Community :: The Lounge-
Jump to: